|Haku (Nigihayami Kohaku Nushi)|
Unknown; Appears 12
|List of Characters|
Nigihayami Kohakunushi (ニギハヤミ コハクヌシ Nigihayami Kohakunushi, lit. "god of the swift amber river") referred throughout most of the film by his nickname Haku (ハク, haku), is the deuteragonist in the Japanese animated film Spirited Away.
Profile and Appearance
Haku is Yubaba's apprentice and second-in-command at the Bathhouse. He seems to be a bit older than Chihiro, about 12 years old, although since he is the spirit of the Kohaku River, he is truly as old as his river is, which, in the Japanese version, is still flowing underneath the apartments now built over it. He has a lean build, sharp grey-green eyes, a bob Japanese hairstyle of dark hair which is a darker shade of his eye color, and thin eyebrows. Fans of the movie even argue if his hair is black or green because of the similarity of his hair and eye color, as well as the fact that his mane when in dragon form is green. He wears a white kimono with puffy, light blue Japanese trousers known as "monpe", along with a purple sash around his waist. As a River Spirit, he has the ability to transform into a beautiful, silver dragon, which is an animal commonly associated with rivers and water in Japanese culture and mythology. His dragon form is that of a typical Eastern dragon, with a long, serpentine body, deer-like antlers, flowing whiskers, and a lupine face. In this form, he has smooth, silver scales with an aqua mane. He can fly and seems to have the ability to change between his human and dragon form at will.
- "You shouldn't be here."
- "Get out of here now!"
- "It's almost night."
- "They're lighting the lamps."
- "Leave before it gets dark."
- "Don't be afraid."
- "In the name of the wind and water within thee, unbind her."
- "Get up."
- "I'm back from my mission."
- "Three days of our food and her smell will go away."
- "It's about my mission, right?"
- "Wait a minute."
- "You haven't noticed that something precious to you has been replaced."
- "Yeah, I remember being in darkness."
- The name "Haku" means "white" (白)
- Haku is the only character in the film able to turn into a dragon at will.
- As he once served as Yubaba's apprentice, he likely has similar magical skills as she does.
- The river he resided in was filled in with apartment buildings, according to Chihiro.
- It is unknown if Haku can still turn into a dragon after regaining his lost name and memories.
|Humans||Akiichirō Ogino • Chihiro Ogino (Sen) • Ichiyūko Ogino|
|Witches||Yubaba • Zeniba|
|Spirits||Aniyaku • Aogaeru • Boh • Chichiyaku • Haku (Nigihayami Kohaku Nushi) • Kamaji • Kashira • Kasuga-Sama • Lin (Rin) • No-Face (Kaonashi) • Radish Spirit • Shikigami • Sootballs • The River Spirit • Unnamed River Spirit • Ushioni • Yubaba's Bird • Yuna|